Hosting Services Explained
A hosting solution includes depositing and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server run by a hosting vendor. There are different sorts of hosting services used for various aims, so let's have a look at them. In that way, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to set up a web site, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
1 website hosted
30-Day Free Trial
5 websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
- File hosting: a service furnished by particular vendors, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts are frequently supported by exhibiting ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain span of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel web hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely untrue explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud hosting environment would share the tasks at hand between individual stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a sort of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain firms offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting variant is suitable if you wish to share an immense quantity of images with friends or colleagues since the solution is typically free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to tackling your e-mail address accounts. Some distributors offer hosting services for sites, but do not offer an email hosting solution. If you wish to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domain. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video produces a specific amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to administer as many video files as you would like without worrying about system supplies.
- Hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to own a website. To some degree, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting varieties since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and email accounts, upload video files, etc. At Hosting Viking you can explore shared hosting and dedicated package accounts that enable you to get all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared web hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for specific web content only.